The Northwest Vision and Learning Center was established in 1992 by Dr. Curtis R. Baxstrom as an optometric practice specializing in developmental disabilities, learning issues and acquired brain injuries. We also are involved with a unique transdisciplinary program incorporating speech and occupational therapy, auditory integration training, cranial sacral therapy, Handle neurodevelopmental programs and educational intervention. We are dedicated to providing the highest quality of developmental, preventive and remedial vision care to children and adults in a friendly, comfortable and professional atmosphere.
The mission of the Northwest Vision and Learning Center is to provide exceptional vision care in a friendly, caring and competent manner. Our hearts are deeply committed to our patient’s individual needs. We strive to provide the essential environment for our patients to attain their visual goals. To this end we practice with the code of ethics as adopted by the American Optometric Association.
The Northwest Vision and Learning Center provides: Visual Evaluation, Consultation, Guidance, Recommendations and Treatment plans for all ages including specialized equipment for assessing infants. Each patient has specific needs that need to be addressed and are evaluated on an individual basis.
Our primary emphasis is in the application of vision therapy for:
- Learning Related Vision Problems
- Visual issues related to ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia and Challenges in Learning (Reading, Spelling, Math)
- Issues related to Visual Information Processing (VIPS)
- Strabismus (eye turning) and Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Visual Considerations of Developmental Delays, including Aspergers/Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down’s Syndrome and others.
- Vision issues related to Acquired Brain Injuries and Stroke
- Prevention and recovery of nearsightedness
- Visual issues affecting your quality of life
On an individual case basis we may supplement our treatment with the following services:
- Educational Assessment, Recommendations and Tutoring
- HANDLE Neurodevelopmental Assessment and Therapy
- Interactive Metronome
Our transdisciplinary model in working with other professionals gives our patients greater opportunities to achieve a successful life. Professional recommendations or suggestions may include but are not limited to:
- Auditory Integration Therapy
- Cranial-Sacral Therapy and Cranial Osteopathy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapy
Most everything you do depends upon good vision. It provides you feedback regarding your world. Studies have demonstrated that 80% of the information you receive throughout the day involves vision.
Vision is not simply being able to see street signs or to see the television across the room. It involves many abilities that you take for granted:
- Moving your eyes as together as a team.
- Scanning across the printed page.
- Shifting your focus from far to near and back.
- Remembering how a word looks with your eyes closed.
These activities are done throughout the day without any awareness. If you have difficulty with visual processing it can interfere with all your activities of the day. It can also be a major challenge for not only school age children attempting to learn, but to those who are recovering from an acquired brain injury or stroke.
With advanced training and expertise we help solve vision problems that can interfere with all your daily activities. We help you solve the issues that interfere with your ability to function efficiently and help you achieve to your greatest potential in life.